domingo, 23 de octubre de 2011

La Vida Granadina (Life in Granada)


First off, I want to apologize for not posting a blog last week. I have been super busy with work and I barely have a chance to take a breath during the day. Tomorrow, I will start my 4th week of work. I normally wake up at 7am, leave my piso to catch the inner city bus at 8am, and then catch the pueblo (town) bus around 8:30. I arrive at the elementary school at 9am, where I teach until 2pm. From 2-5 pm I study Spanish and ironically, English, in order to plan for my next lessons in the academy. I leaven one pueblo and take a bus to a different pueblo to teach classes from 5-9pm in the academy. Finally I take the 9:30 bus back home and arrive back in my piso between 10:30 and 11:00pm. Once I get back, I quickly run to the gym and work out for just  a few minutes. Then I run back, shower, prepare all my food for the following day and fall asleep. THAT IS A TYPICAL DAY IN GRANADA from Monday through Thursday! The good thing is that I don't have to work Friday through Sunday and I have plenty of time to rest on those days. Luckily I am making extra money to be able to save for the following year if God allows me to continue traveling and teaching abroad. I am also learning A LOT about how to teach English  to foreigners, especially Spanish-speaking people. Needless to say, all this experience working with all different ages will look very good on my résume!




















Today, I attended an evangelical church in Spain for the first time in my life. I was surprised to find over 100 Christian Baptists huddled in a tiny building singing praise and worship songs and preaching the Bible accurately. My heart was gladdened to meet the Sunday school teacher from Mexico City. He is an older man that has lived in Spain for over 30 years. However, he does not have a southern Spanish accent, so I find it much easier to understand him! :) After the service, which they call "culto", I wrote signed up on the college group list so that they will hopefully call me to hang out on the weekends. I need nothing more than encouraging brothers and sisters in Christ in Spain right now. If I'm correct, I think I heard that less than 1% of the entire Spanish population are Protestant Christians. By the way, even though their word for church service, which is culto, looks terribly similar to our word "cult", their word does not have the same meaning as ours. It literally just means a church service and they are genuine Christian Baptists seeking God.

Well, right now I am about to go out for some tapas (food that you get when you order a drink at a bar) with some friends. The tapas are VERY cheap and you get a lot of food for the money. This is by far, the cheapest town to live in that I have ever been to in my life. I have posted a few pictures of Granada that me and my friends took one weekend. Hope you enjoy. Please pray for me, because the work load is very hard during the week. Also pray that Jesus will open up the Scriptures to me and bring my into a deeper relationship with him so that I will have a renewed mind to know and demonstrate the will of God and be able to effect the Spainards around me in speech and deed! Love you all!



Here is my new favorite Spanish band ------------->

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario